There are a lot of dishes you can make with string bean either you include it as an ingredient to a dish like Sinigang or Pinakbet, or you can have it as the hero of the dish itself like Adobong Sitaw or in this recipe String Bean Salad.
Here are some known health benefits for string beans
- Fresh green beans are very low in calories (31 caloriess per 100 g of raw bean pods) and contain no saturated fat.
- They are very rich source of dietary fiber (9% per 100g RDA) which acts as a bulk laxative.
- They also carry good amounts of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), and vitamin-C. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals.
Here are the ingredients and steps to make you own tasty and healthy String Bean Salad
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 bunch of fresh string beans, ends removed & sliced in lenght of 2 inches
- ¼ cup apple cidar vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 5 medium yellow onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 5 medium red tomato, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 cups water
M E T H O D
- Boil water in a cooking pot then put in the string beans and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain the string beans and transfer in a bowl with ice water for about 3-4 minutes. Then drain the string beans and transfer it in a bowl. This will retain the color and texture of the green beans.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, white onion, tomatoes, salt, sugar and ground black pepper in a bowl then mix well and season to taste.
- Pour the combined dressing in the string beans. Mix well.
- Transfer the string beans in a serving plate, topped with red onion and serve.